If you didn’t know I live in the Midwest part of the United States. I am not rich, far from it. As a person, I am in the poverty income range. Even with my father I am still in the poverty level. Though we are at the higher end of the income range, doesn’t mean we have the money to be sick. Last year, I spent a total of six weeks in the hospital. A week & a half in intensive care, two weeks in step-down (one step before the floor), & one & a half weeks on the floor. I had gotten pneumonia from somewhere. Don’t know where, but I am thinking from Wal-Mart, flea market, etc. Anyhoo, my point is simple. My total bill came to $500,000.00. Yes, half a million dollars for my care in the hospital. My mother was in for six months at the hospital, four months in rehab, & then two months in a nursing home. By the way, when Mom & I went in we had no health insurance because we couldn’t afford the monthly fees. My mother’s bill before Medicare took it (thank goodness for that) was over a million dollars. Luckily, Medicare picked up the bill from when she first went in the hospital. Otherwise, it would have bankrupted the family & Dad would have to have sold the business & tried to find a job. That would have been horrible.
My point is simple. Don’t tell me to get health insurance, the family can’t afford it. In my opinion, this is what needs to happen.
- Everyone, I mean everyone, needs health insurance.
- Insurance companies need to have a cap put on how much they are allowed to charge.
- For each income amount $0 – $10,000 per year, $10,000.01 – $20,000 per year, etc. there is a grouping per state or even per state district. Each group goes to the insurance company for insurance.
- If your income goes up (per your tax return or wage) for a year & it puts you above your income group you move to the next bracket. Same if it lowers for a year.
- Medical Malpractice suits are to be looked at more in depth and have a time limit on when they can be filed. No more waiting for 2 years.
- No one is to be denied any form of medical needs, be it surgeries, medications, etc. If it is a needed surgery & the patient can handle the surgery safely then it gets done.
- Birth control should be provided by medical insurance.
- Abortions should only be performed for medical reasons be it the child or the mother. Never should abortions be used for birth control. If a woman is raped & ends up pregnant then as long as there is a police report & medical examination that shows rape at the time of the rape then the child should be allowed to be aborted. Though the woman needs to b counselled & offered other options then abortion. There are plenty of couples & singles out there that want to adopt children. *I would like it to be known that, personally, I would never abort an innocent child, but I don’t believe that anyone has the right to tell a woman no.*
I believe I have covered every part of this that I felt needs to be covered. At the moment I am on Medicare & if I wasn’t on it then I would not be able to go to the doctor beyond once a year unless direly needed. I would not be able to get this wound looked at, nor be able to afford my medications. Don’t change the crappy system we already have, make it better.
Stop letting the middle man get rich while everyone else gets poorer & struggles more.